Tuesday, February 23, 2016

be your own lead actor

I am currently listening to Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertailli.  In one section the characters are talking about being a main character in a play, which got me thinking about the importance of being the lead actor in your own story.  I realize that we have many roles to play in life, which include supporting roles in the lives of others (your children, your family, your friends, etc.), but playing the leading role in your own life is also vital.  Who else will be your own personal advocate?  Who else will know your story, 100% from your own perspective?

I have also spent some time recently reflecting on how individuals portray themselves to others.  I am often around people who apologize for their lack of organization, or their lack of preparedness for meetings and the like.  Perhaps this is because I live in Canada, and Canadians do like to apologize, but perhaps it is also a sense of insecurity on their part.  I say, stop admitting that you are not prepared.  Get prepared, do the work that is necessary and if you haven't don't advertise it.  I immediately lose confident in you as a leader if you constantly show me that you haven't done the work necessary.  Reschedule the meeting, delegate the role of chair, or brainstorm ideas and agenda items in the meeting.  Be your own lead actor, stop selling yourself short, fake it till you make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment