Wednesday, December 9, 2015

on being a mentor

I am currently listening to Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling.  She includes some advice on being a mentor, written by her friend and mentor Greg Daniels.  One piece really resonated for me so I thought I would share it here:

"If you ever have the opportunity to observe someone at work, you are
 getting mentoring out of them even if they are unaware or resistant" (p. 89).

He likens this to stealing your neighbours Wi-Fi and goes onto say:

"Make a list of the people you think would make the greatest mentors
and try to get close enough to steal their Wi-Fi" (p. 89).

I think of this as having the opportunity to watch a great teacher in action.  You can't help but be moved by their brilliance and hopefully you are inspired to adapt some of your skills accordingly. And you can do this any time, any where, with or without a formal mentoring relationship.  

Kaling, M.  (2015).  Why not me? Crown Archetype: New York.  

No comments:

Post a Comment