Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Encourage Discussion

Last week I taught 4 times in 4 days.  This may not seem like a lot but for Engineering it is a lot.  One particular class, in a discipline that I have noted a lack of willingness to participate, they again refused to answer any of my questions.  I waited the required 7 seconds for a response and nothing.

The next day, I had another class in the same discipline, which I had planned on completely relying on active learning techniques for my instruction.  I was terrified that the class would be a huge disaster.  I had nothing else planned, nor any time to prepare anything else.

I employed two strategies to encourage discussion.
  1. I brought along a bag of prizes, just in case I need to bribe them to talk [I am happy to note that I didn't need to hand out a single prize]
  2. I simply stated at the beginning of the session - Plan A: we have a 50 minute instruction session with group work and class discussions as well as Q&A, but you have to participate.  Plan B: we have a 50 minute instruction session where you are forced to listen to me for the whole 50 minutes.  I promise you that you want to choose Plan A!  No one can be exciting and interesting for a full 50 minutes.
The professor stated after the class that usually at least 1/3 of the computer monitors during guest lectures are on social media sites, etc.  He stated that during my class, he noticed that everyone was engaged and participating!

No comments:

Post a Comment